St. John of Kronstadt Orthodox Church began as a mission parish in the year 2000, in a home chapel in Palm Coast, FL – a small town on Florida’s northeast coast located between St. Augustine and Daytona Beach. After two years, it became necessary to have services in area community centers, rented for Sundays and other Holy Days.
In 2003, thanks be to God and many generous donors – including a major benefactor, a small parcel of land was purchased in Bunnell, FL – the county seat of Flagler County, just west of Palm Coast and Flagler Beach. Over the next few years the small parish continued to save for a church building they hoped they could one day afford to build. God then gave the increase - through many generous donors again, and again by a major benefactor, so that it was possible by 2010 to begin construction on a small “Parish House” in which there is a chapel and a small living space for visiting clergy or guests.
Throughout the years, the mission has been served by many different clergy – like Bishop Demetrius, priests from the Northeast, Canada, and most recently by Father Savvas, Hieromonk, from Clearwater, FL.
Readers’ services are held Sunday mornings and most major Feast Days. Every four to six weeks we are able to hold full services with a priest, including Great Vespers, Matins, Hours, and Divine Liturgy.
Visitors are always welcome. Call ahead, if possible, to 386-439-1237.
Sunday Reader’s Service, with the Third and Sixth Hours, and Typika, starts at 9:00 am, followed by coffee hour/trapeza.
Not because we are worthy or that we deserve it, but because of our Lord’s unfathomable mercy, has this mission parish been allowed to be planted in this small town. Through the prayers of our Holy Fathers, and our much beloved St. John – a “saint for our times”, may we gain to the Heavenly Kingdom and the salvation of our souls.
In the early 20th century, the idea of promoting the union of Churches (Orthodox and heterodox) began to gain ground among circles in the Eastern Orthodox Church by establishing a "Communion of Churches" modeled on the League of Nations.
The Patriarchal Encyclical of 1920 foresaw a series of steps toward the “union of the Churches,” of which the first was the change of the calendar for the simultaneous celebration of feast days by all the “Churches.” The content of the encyclical was kept secret from the faithful and only after a few years became known. Read more...
St. John of Kronstadt Orthodox Church began as a mission parish in the year 2000, in a home chapel in Palm Coast, FL – a small town on Florida’s northeast coast located between St. Augustine and Daytona Beach. After two years, it became necessary to have services in area community centers, rented for Sundays and other Holy Days. Read more...